perhaps i've been spoiled.....
Jiminos
Posted 2004-05-04 4:00 PM (#188536)
Subject: perhaps i've been spoiled.....

...but i just stopped in at GC. they had a balladeer lx on the wall. just went up this week. new strings. in tune. i took it down and played. it..... i fail to see what all the hoopla is about. it didn't do a thing for me. sorry. i thought the celeb cs 247 had a better sound and feel. it may work for others, but i won't be champing at the bit to spend any money on an lx.

just my two cents.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-05-04 4:18 PM (#188537 - in reply to #188536)
Subject: Re: perhaps i've been spoiled.....

I find it interesting that the last two comparisons where folks didn't really "get" the LX were comparing epulet models of one style to center-hole models of the other which is apples and hats to start off with. If you don't like the epulet model of a guitar or the sound hole model of a guitar, the newer version I wouldn't expect to change your mind at all.

Also, I do not believe anyone in the "sales" of the LX infers it to be a "superior" sounding instrument to its previous non-LX version. I think their intent, for which they have succeeded is to make those models to sound at least as good as their predicessor, on a consistant basis, but also have the advantages of lighter weight, a better neck system, better preamp, and better pickup for only a few dollars more. I find I like the sounds of the new LX models. I prefer epulet guitars, and I am also aware that the tops need to be "played in." So based on that, I expect they will with age get much better sounding than the models they replaced based on the new bracing. But for now, I think they are similar in sound, but built much better. Would I sell an old one for a new one... well maybe, but I wouldn't expect it to sound much better, until it was plugged in (due to the preamp and pickup), but I would expect it to last a whole lot longer.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-05-04 5:07 PM (#188538 - in reply to #188536)

Actually, from Jim's list of guitars, it doesn't look to me like he prefers epulet over round-hole or vice-versa. I WILL admit to that bias, it has become apparent to me that I prefer round-hole to epulet.

I DO understand why the Balladeer LX has a following here from the one I have played....I AM surprised that Jim prefers a CS-247 over the 1771 LX!!!!! :eek: Celebrities just don't have it for me compared to ANY U.S.-made Ovation.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-05-04 6:57 PM (#188539 - in reply to #188536)

With the caveat that different ears hear things differently as well as the difference in personal taste for tone, I must add that the Standard Elite 6778LX I have here right now sounds much, much better than any of the many Celebrities I have played. To me, that is.
LoJoe
Posted 2004-05-04 8:35 PM (#188540 - in reply to #188536)

I didn't think the unplugged sound of my 1771 LX was along the lines of "changing the future of guitars from now on". It sounded great to me however and met the expectations of a good quality guitar I was expecting when I bought it. That all changed however two Sundays ago when I substituted for our regular guitar player in church service. He plays a Takamine or however you spell it that ran him about a grand and change. The sound guy who runs the board said that in comparison, my LX sounded absolutely incredible through the house PA's. He said the sound was full and rich and he had to back off a lot of the EQ he puts in to make the other guy sound half decent. The OP-PRO electronics in these things is tops in my opinion.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-05-04 8:49 PM (#188541 - in reply to #188536)

The OP-Pro is a great preamp. My Legend LX sounds wonderful at church. I am not sure what makes this guitar sound so good, but Ovation really did their homework on the LX series.
MWoody
Posted 2004-05-04 9:05 PM (#188542 - in reply to #188536)

A couple short bits to add:

My 1778LX is really good at making me sound better than I really am. It inspires as well. I did find a 96 "Book" in a store, as in New! If this wasn't the needle in the haystack! The 96 had a very similar sound and feel to my LX. It was a deep body, I guess it was also due to having an excellant top.

Different guitars of the same model have different sounds and feel!

And if I prefer the multi-holes does that make me Epaulectic?
Jiminos
Posted 2004-05-04 11:17 PM (#188543 - in reply to #188536)

gee, i guess i need to weigh in again.... miles, i apparently did not state myself clearly.... when i played the guitar, it was not a comparison. i did not play it, then an epaulet then the round hole again. i played the lx and evaluated it based on thirty plus years of playing... not "gee, how does this measure up to my adamas or my s778." and i do get what ovation is attempting to do with the LX line. and my guitars range from the 70's to the present. it's not as though i have no clue with regard to ovation. as pointed out... i own more round holes than epaulets. i stated that i don't see what all the hoopla is about. it is, in my estimation, a 700-800 dollar guitar that fits in that price range. nothing about the sound was exceptional. neither was it horrid. it was what i would expect from a 700 guitar. no more no less. for me, it is simply not an exciting guitar. i did not try it plugged in. (imho no guitar out there compares to O's when plugged in.)...
my comments were in response to all the hurrah seen here on the board from folks who appeared to be completely taken by the guitar. that is fine for them. i figured since they weighed in singing the guitars praises... i would weigh in with my opinion... i didn't expect to get whacked.... i don't feel i was comparing apples to bolts... i play many different makes of guitars. i evaluate each based on how that particular guitar sounds and feels to me.

heck, i wouldn't even compare a round hole lx to my 30th CL... they are not the same guitar. i would not expect them to sound the same or feel the same....

paaah.... enough of my rant.... sorry if i offended the sensitivities of the LX fans and/or owners.
Paul Blanchard
Posted 2004-05-04 11:31 PM (#188544 - in reply to #188536)

I hope you didn't feel 'whacked' by me. I made it clear that tastes differ, and it isn't for me to judge whose are better or worse (unless they differ from mine, lol).

I am not one who has been beating the drum for the LX series. But I can make a claim regarding a comparison to Celebrities, as I have rather extensive experience with many different Ovation guitars.

I also have extensive experience as an idiot, if my wife is correct.
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-05-04 11:34 PM (#188545 - in reply to #188536)

Jim, when I got my LX the first thing I did was change the strings. Now this is a guitar that came from the factory. I cant' say enough that in my opinion you cannot judge a guitars sound without new strings. It does not matter if the guitar is fresh out of the case from the factory. My LX sounded good with the factory strings, but awesome with new strings. I sure wish you could play my LX Jim, you would love it.
Wuzhizzoner
Posted 2004-05-04 11:40 PM (#188546 - in reply to #188536)

I liked the CCB CL at the factory tour. It had the ANS Neck, but standard Custom Legend body. I REALLY liked it.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2004-05-05 6:04 AM (#188547 - in reply to #188536)

Yuo guys realize all this debate over LX / non LX is very temporary. All the guitars are gonna be made like this soon enough. I remember talk like this when fuel injection started replacing carboraters, then when front wheel drive was replacing rear wheel drive. We can talk all we want, but this is the way it's gonna go. John <>{
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-05-05 7:45 AM (#188548 - in reply to #188536)

Jiminos,
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like I was coming down on you. I wasn't. I guess I didn't understand something you said, then you asked it and answered it in your latest post... you stated that "don't see what all the hoopla is about." then went on to say. "it is, in my estimation, a 700-800 dollar guitar that fits in that price range.....it was what i would expect from a 700 guitar." THAT is the hoopla as far as I can tell. As opposed to many of the guitars out there that are more $'s than substance, the LX seems in the right place, or maybe even a bit of a bargain. I think the non-LX versions of these guitars were also priced well, and just the new pre-amp is worth the $150ish extra.

Sorry for seeming like I was coming down on anything, that was not the intent. I have seen several comparisons between Epulets and center-hole guitars and I guess I read your initial post with that in mind.
Steve
Posted 2004-05-05 1:35 PM (#188549 - in reply to #188536)

"All the guitars are going to be made like this soon enough"....
If this turns out to be true then I wonder how long it's going to take? I remember when Ovation discontinued the artist/folklore, then later they brought them back..; right now the 1767 and 1768 are some of the better sounding higher end O's and equally hard to find; I wish they would bring them back as well...

steve
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-05-05 1:51 PM (#188550 - in reply to #188536)

Originally posted by bauerhillboy:
You guys realize all this debate over LX / non LX is very temporary. All the guitars are gonna be made like this soon enough. {

I just got some new stock from the UK distributor & the Elite-T now has the GMS Bowl & the LX Advanced Neck System (it retains the Quintad bracing) Sounds amazing for such a reasonably priced guitar. The Adamas Q597 has these features also, so it certainly looks as if the LX upgrades will gradually be introduced to the rest of the line.
Steve
Posted 2004-05-05 2:07 PM (#188551 - in reply to #188536)

paul, i just noticed an FRG LX6778 selling on ebay for under $600(by Victor Litz Music), original price over $1300...;sounds like a gamble without seeing it...

steve
MWoody
Posted 2004-05-05 2:09 PM (#188552 - in reply to #188536)

PT - Just read your For Sale post and was thinking the same line. Funny how it is showing up. I expect to see models on MF and such real soon.

I inquired about Longneck ANS neck bars - no plan soon.

It's an exciting time of change and opportunity!
Mr. Ovation
Posted 2004-05-05 2:52 PM (#188553 - in reply to #188536)

As it states in the ad, "FRG=Factory Reconditioned Guitar. Sold with 5 year Ovation warranty! These models are often deemed FRG's by the factory for quicker sale. May have minor cosmetic blemishes." I am surprised to see an LX FRG already, but I know Tony Litz (Victor was his dad) and he stands behind what he sells, so I guess it must be true. I have Actual 2nds that I can't tell whats wrong with them, I would imagine an FRG would be even harder to spot a blemish.