Deep bowl
Oren
Posted 2004-05-04 5:51 PM (#188531)
Subject: Deep bowl

Hi all,

I have an Ovation long-neck deep-bowl guitar that has great bass response when played acoustically, and sounds pretty good throughout its entire range. I've found that the extra length of the neck makes the action rather unstable as the seasons come and go. I've tried to keep the guitar humidified in winter, but it doesn't seem to help much. I usually put medium guage strings on it and keep it tuned one step below standard.

Does Ovation make a higher-end guitar with the deep bowl and a standard scale neck? I've never found one in shops, and I never got much info when I've tried to navigate the Ovation website.

Another long-neck question: has anyone had success tuning one down in the baritone range? I've put baritone guitar strings on mine two different times, and it sounded pretty poor. It has a scale that is longer than some "baritones," so it seems like it should work--but I haven't had much luck.

Hoping to hear from you soon,

Oren
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Beal
Posted 2004-05-04 6:36 PM (#188532 - in reply to #188531)
Subject: Re: Deep bowl

The longneck is made to use regular strings tuned to D (DGCFAD) I've got one and haven't found that it moves much.
I also have a baritone National and that has much heavier strings although the scale is only 26 something(about an inch longer). It's tuned to C (C,F,Bb,Eb,G,C)and works just fine.
You could take the Ovation lower than D but I'd use heavier strings.
It is very interesting playing in these lower registers. Some simple things sound great and some of the other things that sound good on a regular guitar don't work so well.
MWoody
Posted 2004-05-04 6:58 PM (#188533 - in reply to #188531)

Oren,
Welcome to the board!

You have a deep bodied Longneck! Is that the DS778, DCS247S or something really special?

I have a small part of my brain that seems to be affixed on playing a baritone - partly due to CWK's encouragement! Be careful, he has a lot of information and can incite enthusiasm in poor ol pickers like me. Maybe I'm just easy when it comes to guitars.

There are several deep six strings scattered about. Checking archived strings and such will yield a gold mine of information.

And if you are tired of playing your Longneck...
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-05-04 9:38 PM (#188534 - in reply to #188531)

Hi Oren, and welcome to the board from another Michigander...

The only regular production U.S.-made deep-bowl standard-scale Ovation is the Al DiMeola Custom Legend. This takes some persistence to determine from Ovation's website, but it is there. You can also special order one on most U.S.-made Ovation models for extra charge through a dealer.

Roger
cliff
Posted 2004-05-05 7:50 AM (#188535 - in reply to #188531)

. . . or find an older used one in good codition.
There's plenty out there.

Speaking of baritone's:
I read in the latest issue of Acoustic Guitar that D'Addario just came out with three new "specialized" packaged sets. One being for baritones, one set being for Nashville tuning, and another being a 12-string set with the harmony A string being wound to give a lil' extra sumpthin-sumpthin in the low end.