Question about buying an “O” via eBay…
Paul V
Posted 2004-05-06 2:49 PM (#188347)
Subject: Question about buying an “O” via eBay…

Once again a naïve question from one of the “Junior Member”s.

For those of you who have bought an “O” via eBay, what do you look for in the guitar?

In particular, I’m wondering about the guitars that have surface, or finish cracks, etc. As particular as I am about my guitars, my instinct tells me to stay away from any guitar that has ANY surface or finish cracks.

What are your takes on this?

Thanks!

Paul V.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-06 3:23 PM (#188348 - in reply to #188347)
Subject: Re: Question about buying an “O” via eBay…

Paul,
I'm pretty much the same as you when it goes to looking at guitars on ebay. Pick scratches and just a few minor dings may pretty much be acceptable if the price is right and if they are described and pictured well enough for me to get an idea. Even though if the guitar has Laquer cracks and these can be repaired at the Mothership for a price. I'm just leary of that sort of thing. here's a way to approach this:
1) Look for items that have very accurate descriptions and photos

2) look at the sellers Feedback to see if his or her rating is good.

3) if you have any questions about an item email the seller. They should get back with you within a resonable time frame via email andthey may even give you a phone number to call to be sure your question or questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Keep in mind that if a seller has some Negative or neutral feedback see how long between the positive feedback that such appears.
Sometimes these situations and postings are unique in that they come from avid complainers.
case in point... I recently viewed a sellers feedback that said his rating was 98% he had negative feedback but you had to go back Several pages to find one negative posting, then back another several pages to view the next case.
The negative postings struck me as ones put in by Avid Complainers trying to return an item maybe beacuse they changed their mind or whatever.

Most of all go with your gut. You can always ask for the comments on the posting from your fellow OFC members. We're always glad to help.
Paul Templeman
Posted 2004-05-06 6:17 PM (#188349 - in reply to #188347)

Depends on whether you want to play it or look at it. Finish cracks & cosmetic problems do not bother me if the guitar is structuraly sound, can be made to play well and sounds good. I have also bought several Ovations on ebay with structural problems at ridiculously low prices which I have had repaired & re-sold at a massive profit or I have kept and still use regularly. I've also bought a couple of major dogs which have since been raped of parts & junked. Either way I'm still way ahead.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-05-06 7:21 PM (#188350 - in reply to #188347)

Add on some things I have learned....if there is only ONE picture, ask for more from the seller. If it is only pictured IN the case, ask for pictures of the back of the bowl, neck and headstock. If you can't see all of the case(and it matters to you), ask for pictures of the part you can't see.

And...ask whether the neck has any twist in it or not, ESPECIALLY if it is a 12-string with some age on it.

Roger
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-05-06 7:30 PM (#188351 - in reply to #188347)

SHI :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: T

Just got in a great 1997-N Parlor :mad: except :mad: for the fact that it appears it was damaged on the side of the headstock and both sides were sanded flat to the headstock...eliminating the flair at the head.

Yes, I am going to have a discussion with the seller as this was not disclosed but I'm not very optimistic.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-06 8:06 PM (#188352 - in reply to #188347)

Really sorry to hear that bro.
Brad
Nils
Posted 2004-05-06 11:58 PM (#188353 - in reply to #188347)

Oh no! Is that the one where he stopped the auction early? If it is that would explain why. I hope you can resolve this somehow. You do not deserve this sort of crap.

Nils
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-05-07 12:11 AM (#188354 - in reply to #188347)

yep, this is the one where I convinced him to end early...everything else is pristine. so, without this damage, was a good deal for seller and buyer at $550. question whether he knew about it - oiled finish. heck, I wouldn't have known if I wasn't familiar with O's. actually had to show Suzie one of the other O's for her to understand what I was talking about.
bauerhillboy
Posted 2004-05-07 7:03 AM (#188355 - in reply to #188347)

I think you're right,Tony...unless the person is an Ovation nut ( which, of course, we are ), they won't know the difference. I pulled my '97 Collectors out when I read your post, and tried to visualize what happened to yours...made me want to cry for you. But it is a beautiful little guitar anyway. Just curl up with her late at night and close your eyes and play. You'll still fall in love. John <>{
Woz
Posted 2004-05-07 7:59 AM (#188356 - in reply to #188347)

That is shit news Tony...

As for ebay... I ask if any repairs? I ask for any cracks or damage? I ask how it plays? I ask about the neck / feel.

I've posted this before. Plan on a $50.00 set up once it lands. Budget it in.

The guitar is being sold often (IMHO) because it has high action, or a buzz, or a comfort feel.
A pro can fix this and you will be happy.

As for finish cracks. It is used. The price should be low because of the finish. How it feels / sounds is the important question.

My 2 cents.
Woz
Mitchrx
Posted 2004-05-07 9:53 AM (#188357 - in reply to #188347)

The most important thing when buying a guitar on eBay is the reputation of the seller. Carefully scrutinize the photos and description. Ask questions, check the feedback, get a phone number if possible. As for cracks, I personally don't mind them if the price is right. I bought a Custom Legend 1619 for $225 a few months ago that has a big crack going from the bottom of the bridge to the bottom of the guitar. The wood however was stable. I put some superglue in the crack just to seal it and the guitar is great. Nice electronics, fantastic low action, high quality acoustic sound. I've bought/sold about a dozen guitars on eBay and never had a problem, although I've had problems with other purchases that were never delivered. 99% of the people on eBay are good and honest, it's that other 1% that you have to watch out for. If you want a perfect guitar, some can be found on eBay. Read the descriptions carefully and ask lots of questions. I recently bought (for a friend) a 1117 Legend that was listed as pristine except for a small finish crack below the bridge. When I received the guitar it was as described but the K-bar was so over-tightened that the guitar fretted out on the first 3 frets. I loosened the bar, put new strings on it and the guitar was fine. Ovations are very tough and durable which is why buying one on eBay is not all that risky. You can save alot compared with going to a music store but you do take a chance. Establishing a dialogue with the seller is your best insurance against getting ripped off or getting an inaccurate description.
Lastly, if your serious about a guitar post it here and ask the good members of the fan club their opinions. You do run the risk of getting some more buyers interested, but many members check eBay regularly anyway.
akroll
Posted 2004-05-07 10:12 AM (#188358 - in reply to #188347)

Hi,

I posted this elsewhere first (sorry admins, am new here), but this seems to be the perfect thread for my question:

I have an offer for a 1996 collectors Ovation. Supposedly pristine condition, but:

The guitar is in awesome shape...wasn't even taken out of the case until last year, unfortunately as a result there are two small stress marks from humidity/ string tension but are so small that they are not noticable at first glance...under an inch in length around the bridge

Has anyone an idea how this will affect playability, sound and worth?

Thanks in advance,

Axel
Paul V
Posted 2004-05-07 10:17 AM (#188359 - in reply to #188347)

Thanks folks! Once again, great information and opinions. :)

Tony C. - REALLY sorry to hear what happened on that purchase. :(

Mitchrx, I think before I seriously consider buying any O's via eBay, I'll check here. Maybe one of the members will know the guitar, or will have one they may want to sell.

Paul V.
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-07 10:20 AM (#188360 - in reply to #188347)

Stress marks or laquer Cracks are generally just cosmetic in nature as long as the cracks didn't get into the wood and actually crack the top.Cosmetic issues generally dont affectthe playability or the sound of the guitar.
I'd ask for more details from the seller. If the price is right you could buy it and have someone do a setup for you to insure the intonation is right and that your kneck is straight.
The way to be really safe is ask alot of questions. That way you'll get an idea if you really want it or not.
akroll
Posted 2004-05-07 10:30 AM (#188361 - in reply to #188347)

Thanks Steve,

for the incredible quick reply. I'm already in mail contact with the seller and will investigate more, but it seems to be ok.
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-07 11:01 AM (#188362 - in reply to #188347)

Welcome Aboard!
Glad I could Help! This board is a great resource tool. You'll enjoy it. Use it to your advantage.
It's always great to hear from new members.
Let us know how it turns out.
Tony Calman
Posted 2004-05-08 8:37 PM (#188363 - in reply to #188347)

Update on missing "ears" - seller and I agreed on an offset of $100.

Kim had sent: "Our guys could probably graft on new peghead ears without too much problem, we do it all the time. We find a scrap peghead that matches the wood as closely as possible and remove the ears, and put them on the broken guitar. This usually costs about $150, due to the labor involved."

Amazing, thought only repair would be new neck. Couple of weeks, will probably send back to let them work magic.