LX at he local GC.
Tommy M.
Posted 2004-05-07 8:58 PM (#188214)
Subject: LX at he local GC.

I went into the local GC, to pick up some guitar strings and found that they finally have an LX on display. A 1771 Balladeer hung on the wall between the Celebrty models. I picked it up and asked the saleseman about the improvements in these guitars, he replied "yeah, they have an anti slip body so it stays in your lap" Duh! So naturally I had to play it. Strumming it loud, I wanted to get the attention of the 2 customers eyeing the Taylors and Martins. They turned their heads and noticed me playing. Well, I went into my spiel, about the LX story and I went to the factory tour. One guy said he could't believe the sound loudness, and resonance. He came to buy a Martin, but then I told him "these guitars are made to be played above the 5th fret". Martin guys take that as an insult. But after he played the LX, it changed his mind. He actually wound up buying this LX, he was interested in Ovations, but didn't know much about them. I left the store wonderin, Where's my commission?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-05-07 9:05 PM (#188215 - in reply to #188214)
Subject: Re: LX at he local GC.

Tommy, good job! A guitar as good as an LX will sell itself if someone would just sit down and play one for awhile. My Legend LX has gotten alot of attention down here. I show it off whenever I can. People come up to me after church and ask what type of guitar I use. I am always willing to brag about my LX! ;)
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-07 9:49 PM (#188216 - in reply to #188214)

Be Careful!! You keep this up GC will be calling you asking you to come to work. Either that or kaman may need ya! Good Job!!
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-08 9:25 AM (#188217 - in reply to #188214)

Tommy....EXCELLENT JOB!
I hope the sales dude was listening to someone who knew what they were talking about.
Brad
CharlieB
Posted 2004-05-08 10:44 PM (#188218 - in reply to #188214)

Brother Tommy, your reward will come in due time, since what goes'round comes'round.
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-05-09 6:45 AM (#188219 - in reply to #188214)

Sales dude didn't care, he was too busy counting the commission and worrying about selling his next $199 Fender player pack.

Roger
Woz
Posted 2004-05-10 7:45 AM (#188220 - in reply to #188214)

Tommy: Same store different state...
An Elite LX 1778 new on the GC wall was a hit in the acoustic room. I got a chance to plug it into a new "Bose Tower"... Now that was fun.

The GC in RI has sold every LX soon after its landed. This one was set up sweet. I'm sure it found a home. This guitar deserved the hype.
Woz
John Lawrence
Posted 2004-05-10 1:48 PM (#188221 - in reply to #188214)

I just got back into the acoustic guitar after a 20 year absence. I bought a new Martin D16GT, Standard Balladeer, Legend LX and Celebrity C026. I already owned a 1970 Ovation Tornado, 1975 Fender Precision and 1982 Takamine 12 string. This is before the divorce stuff starts for real.

The LX is the best guitar in terms of sound, handling and looks that I have owned. I like it better than my Martin...doh! I live in CT and also am a volunteer tour guide at the New England Air Museum and always do a quick overview (plug) of Ovation when going through the Kaman helicopters exhibit. Play on!

John L.
member #2409
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-05-11 6:57 PM (#188222 - in reply to #188214)

My local GC in Canton, MI FINALLY got their first LX this week!!!!! A 'burst Elite LX. Of course, they put it up high so no one could reach it to play it......right next to the Adamas CVT that has been up in the rafters for most of its life.

Roger
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-11 8:07 PM (#188223 - in reply to #188214)

Roger,
Quick!! Go educate them that the Ovation LX models need to be accesable! They are too good
not to be sampled!
I'm sure you can bring them away from the Dark Side.. Make them see the light and feel the force!
Why do I sound like the next chapter in the Star Wars Saga?? :rolleyes:
TRboy
Posted 2004-05-11 9:18 PM (#188224 - in reply to #188214)

I stopped by Pecknell Music today and they had only one LX but had several other O's including a MOB :D (the most O's I've seen there at one time - 10!!)(4 of 10 were USA) They outnumbered the Tak's,Tacoma's,& Ibanezeseses's in the acoustic section....and right smack dab in the middle (floor level) was the beautiful Legend LX (natural,of course!) displayed on the LX's cardboard sales/features display board(looked good too!!) I played it and it sounded great(new strings/good set-up)super loud even without a pick! I've gotta get one!!!! I also played the MOB too!.......EEHH...it's got it's place also
;) But kudos to Pecknell for "showcasing" the LX(the O's definitely had the "floorspace" they deserve)

Mike :cool:
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-05-12 5:06 AM (#188225 - in reply to #188214)

Steve, I don't waste my breath with anyone at GC. While I was there playing a guitar in the "expensive" guitar room, someone who worked there came in and started moving guitars from one spot to another on the wall(why?????), bumping and possibly nicking a number of them in the process. These are the expensive guitars, the $2000 Gibsons, Martins and Taylors. This is indicative of the level of thought I see at this place. :rolleyes:

Roger
cliff
Posted 2004-05-13 5:26 PM (#188226 - in reply to #188214)

In an effort to rid my brain of nursing homes and the ravages of Alzheimer's, I stopped at a local (Totowa, NJ) GuitarCenter on my way home from visiting w/Mom late Mother's Day afternoon.

The place was mercifully QUIET. No doubt all the young SnapperHeads were fulfilling the obligatory "dinner out with Mom".
"Ahhhhh . . . . nice.", I thought.

Walked into the Acoustic Room and was actually "greeted" by someone who was (ahem!) "my own age"! This guy introduced himself to me ("Brew"), invited me to play anything I liked, and offered to answer any and all questions. (I was tempted to turn around and sprint out to the front and check the sign to make sure I was in the right store! :-). Perusing the "wall" I found (FINALLY!) an LX!! Custom Elite in the Honeyburst(?) finish. After seeing similar ones stacked like cordwood in various stages of completion at the Factory, it was rather nice to see a shiny new completed entity bathed in halogen glory on the wall! Picked it up, sat down, quietly tuned it (by ear) and immediately launched into my best fingerpicking. NICE!! "Brew's" head immediately snapped around, "Y'know those guitars are really sounding GOOD now! . . . they must've changed something on them . ."
Strike One for "Brew".
I hit the poor guy with "details" with the same rhythm and furor of a pimp "BitchSlapping" a Bronx "Hoe" that came up $50 short. ;)

I "half-liked" the guitar. I was definitely lighter than my CBalladeer (though understandably not as light as the SlotHead), and I found the bowl to be more comfortable. Though not a fan of newer epaulets, the look of the inlaid ones with a finsh on 'em was kinda' "classy" looking. The finish itself was really nice. A very pretty-looking guitar overall. It sounded GREAT! Big. Loud. Bright. Full. The handful of other people in the room all stopped, looked and listened.
For Looks and Sound, definitely a nice guitar.

I don't like the neck.
Sorry, but I just can't used to the shape and feel of the neck . . . and it's probably just "me". For YEARS all I've been playing's been a '76 CBalladeer's neck with a truss rod in it that for all intents feels like an electric neck. The SlotHead's neck is a "little" beefier, but still has a slender-ish V-shape to it's neck. The necks on my two 12-strings feel different, but they ARE in fact 12-string necks. To me, the LX necks just feel too "round & chunky". Sorry, not my "flavor".

I guess in an effort to somehow "vindicate" himself with me, "Brew" comes up to me and quips "Y'know, . . . Ovation is celebrating their 30th Anniversary this year! . . ."
I cringed. Strike Two, Brew.
After pondering the inlaid epaulets just one more time (and biting my lower lip), I exhaled deeply and calmly corrected Brew that in a couple of years, Ovation would be FORTY years old and that it was the original "flagship" guitar, the Custom Legend that was celebrating it's 30th anniversary.
He skulked off.

For "shits & giggles", I decided to walk into the "high end" room. All the Usual Suspects. I then noticed in the middle of the far wall, a black Ovation!!! I snatched it up, thinking it was a DiMeola model. It wasn't. It was a black BalladeerLX. "How'd THIS get in HERE??", I thought. Put it through the same routine as the Elite. Sounded good . . . but I think that I liked the sound of the Elite model better. Same neck. Put it back.

Decided it best to then leave before "Brew" decided to chase me down and tell me "Did you that Ovation got it's technology from making motorboats???? . . . ."

It wouldn't have been pretty.
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-05-13 5:41 PM (#188227 - in reply to #188214)

Cliff,

Sorry to hear about your mother.... it reminded me of something that happened to me.

As you may remember, I play mostly for Church and Elder Care Music Ministry... we play at Rest Homes twice each month.

Once after the program was over, the Convalescent Head Nurse asked if we could play for a man in the Alzheimer's unit.

When we entered his room, he was in the typical Alzheimer's position and fully un-responsive.

We started playing a rather obscure hymn and after the second verse, he stood up, came over to us and started singing with us! He sang all of the remaining verses by memory and the expression on his face was blissful.

After the song was over, he slowly faded away into the Alzheimer's and once again was un-responsive.

Somehow the music reached in and pulled him out of the Alzheimer's and put him in a better and happy place even if for only a moment.

What a high that gave us!

If you don't already, take your guitar when you visit your Mother and see what can happen... be sure to play loud enough for the other residents to hear and enjoy!
MWoody
Posted 2004-05-13 5:45 PM (#188228 - in reply to #188214)

I think Miles should set up a special reference area on Music Store reviews.

Cliff - yours would be one of the standards! Good job.
cliff
Posted 2004-05-14 8:29 AM (#188229 - in reply to #188214)

Thanks, Tim.
I really appreciate the sentiment.

I've thought about bringing my guitar to the nursing home, but I'm always afraid that when I'd start playing, the ONE and ONLY thing she'd remember would be:

"Turn that shit DOWN!!!!" :D