How do you spell GAS relief?... LX???
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-08 12:52 PM (#188171)
Subject: How do you spell GAS relief?... LX???

That's it.
I have had GAS almost a year now.
My wife & I are leaving the house right now.
I'll feel better when I get home.
Brad
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BruDeV
Posted 2004-05-08 1:59 PM (#188172 - in reply to #188171)
Subject: Re: How do you spell GAS relief?... LX???

Actually it's spelled .... M. O. N. E. Y.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-08 7:17 PM (#188173 - in reply to #188171)

Well, it's done.
Here is how it went down.
At the "Folk'in Friday" session last night I saw a standard Elite LX that had just arrived. I held it, played it for just a few minutes in a crowded room. I got a price. I got just enough of a taste to know that I was was not going to wait 3 or 5 or maybe 7 more months for a deep bowl. Got home at midnight & went to bed.
Saturday morning, I knew it was time. The LX felt & sounded real good and the one I wanted would have an up-graded top. I could order a deluxe(?)Elite LX Cherryburst like I had wanted and have it in a few weeks.
My wife (Pam) and I went to Huber Breese with the deposit burning a hole in my pocket. We had the acoustic room to ourselves and I preceeded to show her all the features I had been talking about. The 30th was still there and they just got in a Al DiMeola with the LX. While I was waiting, I played all three. I had never played an A-D model before. As I played, Pam said that the LX sounded kind of "tinny" compared to the others I was playing. I did not need to hear that. This was *my* LX moment. I could hear a difference also. I would expect the LX to sound different than either of the others. However, she kept asking me if I was sure the LX is what I wanted. I gave her all the reasons why yes, it was the one.
Pam seemed have an astute ear so I pulled a $5,200 Taylor off the wall. She liked it the least of the four. (atta girl!)
Soon, the owner came in to see us. He picked up the Al DiMeola and played. I was stunned. Being in front of the guitars like Pam was is totaly different. I had him play the LX, then the A-D, then the LX again.
So.... after all of my LX research. After the umpti-squat number of words written on the subject, old Slipkid is now the proud owner of a new Al DiMeola Ovation.
I am ever so grateful to my wonderful wife for her love & support.
Brad
zorjon
Posted 2004-05-08 7:27 PM (#188174 - in reply to #188171)

Congrats!!

Beautiful.

You did well.

Fill us in with all details once you've had some time to really enjoy it.

John
peterbright
Posted 2004-05-08 7:31 PM (#188175 - in reply to #188171)

Wives do come in handy even when it comes to guitars!
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-05-08 7:57 PM (#188176 - in reply to #188171)

Congrats, Brad. I'm 110% positive you made the right choice. I am 0-for-2 on Standard Elite LXs myself. Pretty guitar, but I just don't care for how it sounds. And if I were to buy another Ovation, it would be an AD Custom Legend.

Roger
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-08 8:04 PM (#188177 - in reply to #188171)

Hi Roger,
I would not say that the LX struck out in any way. Putting the obvious qualitys of a higher end guitar aside, I can say the the LX is a big improvement from what it replaces.
Brad
JohnnyMac
Posted 2004-05-08 8:05 PM (#188178 - in reply to #188171)

Brad, looks like something is putting spaces in the file name, maybe that's why it won't work. Great story, BTW.
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-08 8:27 PM (#188179 - in reply to #188171)

There we go...Thanks.
It's hard to beleive that they were once the same color!
Brad
Legend-LX-Fan
Posted 2004-05-08 10:39 PM (#188180 - in reply to #188171)

WOW! That is a beatiful guitar. It looks great in natural. Don't you love the rosette. That is one of my favorite things on my Legend LX. Great looking guitar, I know you are proud of it.
Bailey
Posted 2004-05-09 1:04 AM (#188181 - in reply to #188171)

Slipkid

That is one beautiful guitar, actually two beautiful guitars, but I am drawn to the cutaway and great trim.

Now my GAS is acting up, got to head to the drugstore, wait, music store, and get something for it. Now why did MY wife just tie me to my chair.

Bailey
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-09 9:09 AM (#188182 - in reply to #188171)

Paul H,
Yeah...the rosette and all the inlay work is fantastic.
Baily,
Maybe she has you tied down because of GAS.....and maybe it's....something else....?
It's the next day and I'm still geeked.
Over a year ago I got the idea that I wanted a plug-in Ovation to take out of the house. I did not want any unfortunate incidents to be layed on my old Balladeer. Beleive it or not, I got the idea when I saw the MOB. In fact, I concidered an MOB for it's resistance to abuse. But I could not accept the sound. The outdoors would just swallow up the best sound it could produce.
Fast forward a few months to when I found this board. I learned alot very quickly. Including bout the big secret LX project. Okay...I'll wait. And wait. And Wait... In the meantime I played any high end guitar, and finally, an Adamas for the first time. Then BrianT bought an Adamas & I got to play his. It started to sink in my brain. I began to hear and differences. The words "even tone" are easy to say but harder to comprehend.
My old Balladeer was always the base "control" sound for comparison. Then I started to understand the different voices.
(God, I hope I don't sound like a pompous ass)
I realized that it would take a very high end guitar to equal the jump of my Balladeer. I was bummed for a while when I missed the Millenium that sold on this board. I have read sci-fi since I was a kid and that guitar covered both interests. I knew I could do e-bay for a used Adamas but for some reason, choose not to.
So, still not having played an LX I decided that for my next guitar I would focus on contrast. My old natural, single hole, deep bowl next to a new dark cherry, mid-bowl multi hole. I was expecting a "warmer" sound from the LX compared to the jump and boom of my Balladeer.
Finally, I have a good example of an LX in my hands and I am comparing it side by side with others. I realized I did not want a warmer sound. I wanted jump. Contrast is nice for display but the sound is the thing.
I stated earlier that I might be over thinking this whole thing. Maybe I did make it alot harder that it could have been.
Brad
P.S. ..Please don't take these comments as a knock on the LX. I beleive that the LX is an advancement in every way.
Englishplayer
Posted 2004-05-09 10:26 AM (#188183 - in reply to #188171)

Slipkid, congrats on the beautiful guitar! You sound like you feel the need to apologize for not buying an Lx. I don't think there's any doubt that you are not slamming the lx; in fact, it sounds like you liked it. It's important to remember that the LX is not the top of the line at Ovation and the Lx you played is not even the top of the line lx. I think it's always a matter of how much you like the guitar for the money, and for the money you can afford. I stated before that I think my elite lx is a fantastic guitar for the money and that the Adamas CVT sounds better in my opinion (Just not $500-600 better for me!). For you, $600-700 more got you just what you wanted! The Lx is a great move in the right direction for Ovation, but they have other models that may outplay the lx line. I like the fact they have some great competitors at different price points.
Enjoy the new guitar! If it plays anything like it looks then you made a great choice!
amstphd
Posted 2004-05-09 10:55 AM (#188184 - in reply to #188171)

Brad writes "I am ever so grateful to my wonderful wife for her love & support." Not to mention her really discerning ear?
It's a beautiful guitar. Congratulations.
Peace,
John
moody, p.i.
Posted 2004-05-09 1:51 PM (#188185 - in reply to #188171)

Congrats on a great guitar. The AD model has the same bracing as the LX, but the deep bowl. I've maintained all along that Ovation is going to have to come out with a deep bowl LX (in the new, lighter material) to maximize the acoustic sound. I think that the comparison between the LX and the AD gives some creedence to my argument.
Jeff
Posted 2004-05-09 4:10 PM (#188186 - in reply to #188171)

Beautiful guitar, Brad.

Congratulations!

Jeff
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-09 5:36 PM (#188187 - in reply to #188171)

Brad.
Great Looking Guitar!! Congrats!!
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-09 6:54 PM (#188188 - in reply to #188171)

Thanks everyone...
Paul, I know we feel the same about deep bowls and old Balladeers.
I plugged it in for the first time this afternoon. It will take some getting used to for me. The A-D has a little button at the top of the bowl for a quick volume boost. Neat....it goes to eleven!
After a day I have come up with some positive a negatives.
No, I did not get the multi-hole I planned on but the abalone makes up for that big time.
No, I did not end up with the "knockaround" guitar I first wanted, but I am always very careful anyway.
Yes, I did get a deep bowl.
Yes, I can now plug in...and I love the onboard tuner.
I think that now that I have pulled the trigger, I will really miss the thrill of the hunt.
I am glad that I waited in that I was able to sit in a room and choose from a number of guitars.
Brad
Old Applause Owner
Posted 2004-05-09 9:57 PM (#188189 - in reply to #188171)

Brad, no question you did it right and in a place that had a good choice.

Roger
MWoody
Posted 2004-05-09 11:15 PM (#188190 - in reply to #188171)

Brad,
Sounds to me like you have a textbook case of being an OFC Member! Congrats.

I hear what you and Moody are saying about the deep bowl and the LX Bracing - but who knows how long it may take. Patience.

As Far as:"I think that now that I have pulled the trigger, I will really miss the thrill of the hunt."

...You'll be back...
Woz
Posted 2004-05-10 8:14 AM (#188191 - in reply to #188171)

Brad:
Good going. Great guitar. If your going to pull the trigger and "do it"... You did it right.

The playing and hearing can be a little different.
The smile on your face is why "we" do this.

Thanks for giving us the full picture.
Woz

It's an Ovation thing...
Slap
Posted 2004-05-10 11:19 AM (#188192 - in reply to #188171)

Brad

I like very much how you selected your guitar. I saw the picture & it is beautiful and I bet it sounds great.

I just bought an elite lx. I have an Ovation deep bowl balladeer..tht I've had since 1969. The sound is great.

I just liked the look of the LX...and listened to you guys on the OFC and advice from George Dubick and I bought mine from music 123.

I think you have a great guitar. Congrats

Sam
Strummin12
Posted 2004-05-10 12:15 PM (#188193 - in reply to #188171)

"I think that now that I have pulled the trigger, I will really miss the thrill of the hunt"

I find that a remarkable statement, mainly because I can relate to the feeling, but never quite articulated it. Reasearching, scouring the net, ebay, and local music shops to find the right item at the best price...guitar, part, etc...the focus can be there relentlessly for several weeks. Then once the task is accomplished, my brain says, "ok, now what?" I guess it has a hard time adjusting to kicking back and letting the heart take over to just enjoy thrill of the item.

On another note, I reluctantly tried an AL D Model at a store recently. Michele was with me, and she too love the sound of it (she noticed a sound difference as well). It was truly a gorgeous guitar with incredible bass response. I have too many other things on my guitar "wish list" to even consider mentioning wanting that one. She would have me castrated on the spot, regardless of how nice it sounded!

I wish you the best with that guitar! Make us proud and make her sing!

-Johnny
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-10 10:07 PM (#188194 - in reply to #188171)

Thanks everyone.
I just played for about an hour with OFC member BrianT and his Adamas. I am really pleased.
Slap.....Those old Balladeers are really something. I don't know if it's the ageing process or if they are just that good. They sure set a high standard when shopping for a new guitar. Sounds like Michele has a good ear like my Pam. That makes her a keeper!
Strummin....Yeah I'll miss the hunt. Now I just have to find a new goal. Maybe it will be getting up and playing at the open mic in the fall.
Brad
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-05-11 8:30 AM (#188195 - in reply to #188171)

Slip,

Fabulous guitar!

However you said:
No, I did not get the multi-hole I planned on but the abalone makes up for that big time.
No, I did not end up with the "knockaround" guitar I first wanted, but I am always very careful anyway.
Yes, I did get a deep bowl.
Yes, I can now plug in...and I love the onboard tuner.
I think that now that I have pulled the trigger, I will really miss the thrill of the hunt.
:rolleyes:

don't be fooled! There is NO CURE for GAS! After the bloodlust of the hunt/track/kill stops pounding in your ears and you sitback and admire your recent addition (BTW you have just added to MY GAS!) there is the next hunt lurkin.... multi-hole, knockaround, Adamas, .... it will never stop!!! :eek:
Slipkid
Posted 2004-05-11 4:42 PM (#188196 - in reply to #188171)

Tim C.
So, you have coined a new catagory! The Knockaround Adamas!!
A must for any real Ovation fan.
Has it really come down to this?
;)
Brad
Tim in Yucaipa
Posted 2004-05-11 5:00 PM (#188197 - in reply to #188171)

..... after the Adamii goes through the "LX Change Of Life", won't all of the "Old" Adamii be relegated to inexpensive "knockarounds"???!!! :eek:

Maybe then I can buy two! :D

.... stalking...... :cool:
Stevechapman
Posted 2004-05-11 5:30 PM (#188198 - in reply to #188171)

By at least 4.. They're Small!!! :D :D :D
But Honey,..They were available at such a bargain I had to get all 4.
Uh Honey..what are you doing with that sledgehamer??
Uh oh!!! :eek: