LX Preamp
John B
Posted 2004-05-16 6:52 AM (#187642)
Subject: LX Preamp

I was finally able to give the new LX OP-Pro preamp a good workout in a live setting and I must say that I am most impressed. The "shape" button engages a curcuit that the manual describes as "it contours the guitar's electric output in a way that reduces the piezo pickup's naturally effecient midrange response, creating a pleasing, warm sound". All I basically had to do was press this button and I had some of thr best sound that I ever heard coming through my speakers. It totally eliminated that harsh, brassy sound that Piezo pickups are known for. I had some of my "regulars" who are not music people ask me what I did to my system to make it sound better.

I also like the way that the gain knob increases the volume at very slight intervals. The one (minor) complaint that I have with my other O's is that the slightest move of the gain slider increases the volume pretty drastically. I felt like I had much more control with the new system. Speaking of sliders, I also like the fact that the gain control is now a large knob that is much easier to deal with in a dark venue. The old peepers ain't what they used to be. The one thing that I don't care for is the fact that the guitar does not mute when it's in tuning mode. I thought that was a nice feature on the older preamps, but that's just too minor to worry about. All in all, a very nice system!

Just another reason to never put this guitar down. I am hooked!! :D
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dmkozak
Posted 2004-05-16 11:33 AM (#187643 - in reply to #187642)
Subject: Re: LX Preamp

In the Muscian's Friend review of the LX, they say punching the bypass button gets you DiMeola's EQ settings and leaving the bypass off with everything centered gets you Etheridge's EQ settings.
MWoody
Posted 2004-05-16 5:39 PM (#187644 - in reply to #187642)

The most I ever made for playing guitar was $50 and all I could eat - so I'm obviously not a Pro. What I liked about the OP PRO when I plugged in for church band was that it just worked!!! I use the preset button and it just comes out nice!

In the last few months I have been playing the 1615 12 string (the flavor was needed) and I would love to get an Adamas 12 with the OP Pro.

Of course I'd love to get any new Ovation :D
CharlieB
Posted 2004-05-16 5:58 PM (#187645 - in reply to #187642)

The effect being dependant, I suppose, on frequency as well as duration: They were right, if I didn't stop, I'd go blind. Fortunately marriage saved my eyesight. :cool:

Having said that, and having never used the OP-Pro, the ONE thing I wish I had on the OP-50 is an LED readout, rather than the OP-50's led "next to a printed note name". Changing your tuning in a dark place is a challange, especially since the volume is squelched when the tuner is used.

Maybe we had to wait for the engineers at O to become seasoned citizens in order to realize this!